Thursday, July 2, 2020

Glenna’s and Vic’s Hand Analysis - Preemptive Bids- July 6, 2020

Glenna Shanahan and Vic Johnson were supplied a bridge hand.  The player of the hand (me) stated why he bid the hand the way it was bid.  Glenna and Vic then supplied the answer on the correct bid.  Thanks to both of them for their comments.
Why was it bid like that?

The problem was I had six clubs and no five card majors.  I had enough to open.  The clubs were the best part of this hand.  Technically, the bid should have been 2 clubs showing 6 clubs but a 2 club bid means you have more than 17 points.  I did not have 17 points but 6 clubs.  I suppose I could have bid 1 club but that means I have between 3 and 4 clubs and no majors.  So because I wanted to tell my partner I had more than 3 clubs,  I couldn’t bid 2 clubs because I did not have enough points, there was only one bid that I thought would work. That bid was 3 clubs.

Glenna’s Comments

 The Bidding: Let’s make preemptive bidding very clear: All preempts guarantee that you have LESS than an opening bid - usually 5-10 points.  6-card suits are opened at the 2-level, 7-card suits at the 3-level and 8 card suits at the 4-level. If you have 9 ♣️’s or 9 ♦️’s, you still open 4 and not 5. Most off your values (high card points) should be in your suit. This hand doesn’t fit the criteria, so should be opened the same as any other opening hand—1 ♣️  and if responder bids 1 ♦️ or 1 ♥️, your rebid is 1 ♠️ and if partner bids 1 ♠️, you would raise ♠️’s.

Vic’s Comments


Comments with respect to the hand you describe above:

#1 - Most experienced players agree that a 2C opening bid promises 22+ HCPs. I suggest you do so as well.

#2 - Your correct bid was 1C - that promised AT LEAST three clubs - it also promises AT LEAST a standard opening hand - it does NOT DENY that your club suit might be longer than three & your point count higher than standard - that is why partner should strive not to PASS holding at least six points

#3 - imagine your LHO passes & partner bids 1D passed back to you - on your second call you can jump to 3C - rebidding any suit promises AT L:EAST a six card suit - the jump to the three level promises 16-17 points

#4 - suppose partner passes - you could choose to rebid your clubs (to promise six) but should not jump to three level (rebidding even after partner has passed implies a point count on the strong side of opening)

#5 - You should try to avoid lying about length with preemptive bids - opening bids at three level should promise seven cards

No comments:

Post a Comment