Saturday, June 26, 2021

Weekly Hand Analysis - Glenna Shannahan - Monday, June 28, 2021 - Contested Auction

Question:  In a contested auction, how do you know when to pass out of the auction?

Glenna:

  Dave and I were playing precision and it was easy for us to find 4 ♥️! I opened 1 ♣️ which is 16+, E bid 2 ♣️ natural and Dave bid 2 ♥️. I know he has 5+ ♥️ and 8+ points. I bid 2 ♠️ natural and he bid ♥️ again so I was happy for him to play 4 ♥️ as we had at least 8 ♥️ between us and game values.

  Standard America bidders have a little harder time. N opens 1 ♠️, E overcalls 2 ♣️ and depending on NS agreements, S has trouble showing long ♥️ and not many points. S can jump to 3 ♥️ showing the hand IF they play weak Jump Shifts or he can pass and wait for partner to reopen (a VERY important understanding to share with partners) and will bid ♥️ freely after the reopening double.

  Not sure how the bidding went when NS ended in 3 ♦️! Somehow South has to bid ♥️ enough time to show partner can support him with a XX or even a X (singleton). Never settle for a minor when there is a long Major is my best advice.

The factors I try to consider in a contested auction:
               Any extra length in my suit (or partner’s)
               Shortness in opponent’s suit
               Good Hand - high cards in long suits
               Stiff or doubleton honers KQ KJ  AT  QJ. — all bad
               Who is vulnerable and who is not: We are red and they are white should be very careful. Equal vulnerability can be a little frisky


 

No comments:

Post a Comment