Friday, May 7, 2021

Weekly Hand Analysis - Glenna Shannahan - Monday, May 10, 2021 - 1NT with singleton ace

Glenna:

 Yes, South could open the bidding with 1NT as ACBL changed the rules several years ago permitting 1NT opening with a Stiff A, K or Q. I try not to do it, but if I ever would, it would be this hand. 1 x 4 hands supposedly occur 11% of the time, BUT they are really difficult to handle. Think a Stiff A is MUCH safer than a stiff K or Q so I might break my rule and do it. You always have to be prepared for partner to be unhappy when it doesn’t work out so I hope that all our partners allow us to make somewhat unusual bids from time to time!! We are doing it for a good reason and not some silly, unnecessary experiment. (However, I would not open 1 NT with a Stiff K or Q!!!! You can take it to the bank.)

Glenna




 

No comments:

Post a Comment