Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Weekly Hand Analysis - Vic Johnson - June 27, 2022 - Negative Double

Question:  As you can see here, the North Robot 3C even though the hand was weak in diamonds and had four clubs.  Is a negative double a good bid for regular people with North's hand?

Vic:

It is my understanding that the [BBO] Robots are programmed to play a system called GIB (Ginsberg's Intelligent Bridgeplayer). That is the system they use to describe their own hands. It is also the system they use to interpret the bids you make. 

Unfortunately, some GIB agreements are bizarrely different from the systems routinely played in North America (Standard American - Two Over One). To add to the frustration of Robot games, it is also my experience that the Robots tell flagrant lies fairly routinely. 

My suggestion: Hover over every call a Robot makes to see what that call actually means. Hover over every call you are about to make to see how the Robots will interpret it. 

 In the auction above you have opened & West has promised a weak hand. North has reason to believe your side has the balance of the points & probably deserves to play the hand. And obviously, GIB dictated that North should make a Negative Double.

 Personally, however, holding the north hand I would Pass (not bid). I would trust you to balance if you have a strong hand. And with my club holding I would be perfectly content to defend 3C if you Pass.

 Personally, I would have also opened your hand 2H (not 1H). I don’t consider it a strong enough hand to open at the one level in 1st or 2nd seat. You can qualify for Rule of Twenty, but have only 1.5 quick tricks.

 Given the way the auction did progress, holding your hand I would rebid my hearts (rather than raise spades) on my second chance to call & cross my fingers that ended the auction.

 Editor's Note:  For more on GIB go to https://www.bridgebase.com/help/v2help/robots_about.html


 

No comments:

Post a Comment