Sunday, July 24, 2022

Weekly Hand Analysis - Glenna Shannahan - July 25, 2022 - Considering a slam


 Question

S is holding 5 H and 15 HCP, N is holding 5 S and 15 HCP. Sensing a potential slam, S bids Blackwood asking for aces and kings. How should N respond considering the void in D?

Hand did make 6 NT even though N/S was missing 3 Kings.

Glenna:

 I am going to answer this in 2 different sequences as the new way to bid is to go slow with a good hand and fast with a bad hand. Let’s start with what actually happened. N must bid ♣️ and NOT ♠️ on his 2nd bid. He has already shown at least 5 ♠️ and an opening hand so don’t show the same values twice. Bid ♣️  and partner will bid ♣️ and with 4 suits bid, 6 NT is easy. Very few people are brave enough to ever bid 7. I think we have had only 3 or 4 Grand Slams bid in the past 3 or 4 months.

 The modern version is: 1 ♥️, p 1 ♠️ P  2 ♦️P 3 ♣️ and now N knows what to do. Learn to go slowly with good hands and try to show both your suits. With a bad hand, simply rebid the 6-card suit and be finished!

 One of two things I constantly preach and I wish you would write them down and reread them every single day until you know them by heart. Do NOT rebid the same values you have already shown!!!! Show something new or pass. When you hold a 6-4 hand, do not rebid  the 6-card suit (unless your hand is VERY weak and you feel guilty for opening)—show the 4-card suit and if partner bids something you don’t like, THEN rebid the 6-card suit.

I think most of you have my email so write me if this still doesn’t make sense to you because I’d like it to become your common operating procedure. I can write some hands and put them out for you to review.

Good Luck and hope this helps,

Glenna

.

No comments:

Post a Comment