Monday, February 13, 2023

Weekly Hand Analysis - Vic Johnson - February 20, 2023 - 1NT response

 

Question:  What are the rules for a responder after partner starts with a 1NT bid?

Vic:

Your question seems to be asking for a comprehensive discussion of the various options available to Responder after partner Opens 1NT. I am currently half way thru Part Two of the Beginning Bridge course I teach which devotes 8 hours of formal instruction to answering that question. In my opinion it is neither feasible nor appropriate to answer that question here.  

What is appropriate is for me to critique the specific auction shown above. North has 7 HCPs of which 2 HCPs are for an unsupported "Quack". The unsupported Quack may in reality very well prove to be worthless. So I agree completely with North decision to Pass. Defending against 1NT, EW deserve to take the first seven tricks. 

I suspect North would love to be able to tell Opener about their 4 spades. But first things first. The single most important thing for North to tell Opener is that they have less than 8 HCPs. They do that by passing. 

If North had 8 or more points, I would have needed more information to critique the auction. Specifically, I would need to know whether NS had agreed to play Stayman Convention or not. If not, my advice would be they learn it. 

Ain't bridge a great game?


No comments:

Post a Comment