Friday, October 16, 2020

Bridge Hand Analysis - Glenna Shanahan - October 19, 2020 - A fun hand to play


 Comment: This hand should sort of look familiar.  Could you talk through the thinking on the bidding?

Glenna:

 Actually this was a fun hand. 

Sometimes you can’t be scientific, just go  with your instincts. Mike (North) actually helped me make my decision: his bid showed 8 hearts without a lot of values outside his ♥️ suit.  So now look at my hand: 19 HCP (high card points), 1st round control in 2 suits and 2 2nd round controls (in the other 2 suits.)That means I can loose only 1 ♥️ and 1 ♣️ off the top with the correct leads, etc, Most other E let N play 4 ♥️  which makes because N loses 1 ♠️ and 2 ♦️

Think you will find competitive bidding is a process that we never really master—can only improve our deductive reasoning skills which is exactly what this came down to.

  I should tell you that conservative bidders would probably not bid 5 ♣️, but I am an aggressive bidder. That simply means I bid what I think I might make and don’t worry about always making everything I bid. If he’s making 4 ♥️, and I go down one at 5 ♣️ , that’s a good sacrifice. I also have a 50% chance of making 5 ♣️. I thought the odds were in my favor and I got lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment