Thursday, February 3, 2022

Weekly Hand Analysis - Vic Johnson - February 7, 2022 - 2 NT and not 1NT or something else?


 Question

With 19HCPs, should South bid 2NT on their second bid so that their partner knows they have a large hand or is 2NT?  What would happen if there was interference from either East or West?  Would 2NT still be  the bid?

Vic:

Yes. Given that South opted to bid no trump on their second call, the proper bid would have been 2NT (not 1NT).  

Meaning of 1NT: I do not have 4 hearts (true). I do not have 4 spades (not true). I have a balanced hand (true). My balanced hand was too weak to open 1NT (less than 15 points - not true).  

Meaning of 2NT:  I do not have 4 hearts (true). I do not have 4 spades (not true). I have a balanced hand (true). My balanced hand was too strong to open 1NT & too weak to open 2NT (18-19 points - true). 

Meaning of 2H (above): I have a 6-card heart suit. Hearing that I would expect the 3rd call by North to be 4H (not 2NT). 

Summary: Quite a collection of flawed bids. 

By the Way: If I was holding the South hand, my second call would have been 2S. Playing with one of my regular partners, I expect that would have led to a 4H final contract. But that story is too complicated to get into. 

Play of Hand Analysis: Good defense against 4H can take three diamond tricks before declarer ever gets the lead. Looks to me like a flawless defensive effort subsequent to that will set 4H by one trick. But how often is the defense flawless?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment