Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Weekly Hand Analysis - Vic Johnson - December 5, 2022 - 2nd Double

 

Question:  In this bidding sequence the Robot for West doubles twice.  Is this just because of the programming for the robot or is there a reason for doubling twice?

Vic:

If I were East with West my human partner, I would view the first DBL as Takeout, promising "tolerance" in the two unbid suits. The definition of "tolerance" has loosened considerably these days. Ideally, West holds at least 4 cards in both hearts & diamonds, especially hearts. Given that Opener is being forced to the three level, I would expect West to hold at least 10 points. 

A standard rule of defensive bidding is to try to avoid letting the opponents play at the two level in a suit where they have found a fit. I would consequently also view the second "balancing seat" DBL by West as Takeout, saying "partner, bid something". Holding six clubs, East does well to rebid their clubs, giving NS the choice of raising to the three level in spades OR letting EW play the hand in 3C. 

What is the meaning of the two DBLs by Robot West? I have no idea. 

I believe the Robots are programmed in a system called GIB. I checked out GIB just long enough to discover it was different, sometimes bizarrely so, from the two bidding systems with which I am familiar (Standard American - Two Over One). I have no desire whatsoever to try to learn GIB. Looks like this might be a time when GIB means the same. 

[Editors Note.  BBO explains GIB:

The robots used on BBO are called GIB (Ginsberg's Intelligent Bridgeplayer.) GIB is widely considered to be one of the best computer bridge programs ever created. It is occasionally capable of brilliance. It is also occasionally capable of some really poor bids and plays (just like all human players).  "]

The good news is that in the online games I play it is possible to hover over any bid made by a Robot for an explanation of what that bid promises. Equally important, it is also possible to hover over any bid I am about to make for an explanation of what that bid will mean to the Robot (often very different than what I was intending it to mean). 

The bad news is I have discovered the Robots lie, sometimes flagrantly. I have hovered over Robot bids promising a particular Ace that they prove not to have. Sometime I can actually see that Ace in my own hand. I have been frustrated so often by lying Robots that I have recently vowed to never again participate in any online games that include Robot players. 

Of course, as all bridge players are well aware, the word "never" means almost never. And the word "always" means almost always. 

Ain't bridge a great game?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment