Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Weekly Hand Analysis - Vic Johnson - October 31, 2022 - Preempt?

 

Question

S has opened a 1C with a holding of 7H and 13 HCP, W overcalls 1D with opening count and 4 D. N enters the fray with a 1H bid and E supports the D. S jumps the bid to 3H and that is where it is  played and ultimately makes 5H. Using the power of perfect hindsight, what should the bidding have looked like?

Vic:

WHAT THE BIDDING DID LOOK LIKE  (Critique)

Unless NS are playing Precision (or some other partnership agreement that uses an opening bid of 1C to simply promise a strong hand), I disagree with the opening bid by South. In the bidding systems with which I am familiar I would expect South to open their 5+ card major.

I disagree with West overcall of 1D. In the bidding systems with which I am familiar I would expect an overcall to promise a 5+ card suit. West has no good bid over an opening 1C & should simply Pass.

 I disagree with South second call of 3H. Responder (North) has promised at least 4 hearts. I would expect South to jump to 4H (game).

 WHAT THE BIDDING SHOULD LOOK LIKE (Vic Version)

My partners & I play either Standard American or Two Over One which are the two most commonly used systems in North America. I would suggest the following auction.

South:  1H

 West:  DBL (takeout)

North:  4H  (based on the Law of Total Trump)

East:  Pass or 4S  (given the vulnerability 4S would be very aggressive)

South:  Pass (over Pass) or 5H (over 4S)

Comment: Looks at first glance like 4S deserves to go down one & 5H deserves to make.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment